Friday, December 5, 2008

Visitor

Two days ago we had a visitor come in to our class. He was telling us about his school compared to mine and I really realized how much I take for as advantage by going to such a good high school like Stevenson. It was so interesting to put the different stats together of high schools that are pretty close to each other. Going to a school like Stevenson, you don't think about really getting a job right after high school-college come first. In the school in Rockford they usually just get a job out of high school and very few go on to college. I also thought the ACT scores were very different. At Stevenson the average students wants a 25-29 or above on their ACT. Many will get tutored, and take the test 3 to 5 times before they get a score they approve. At the other high school a student got a 14 and was hoping to go up so he could get into a community college. We truly are very fortunate to go to such a well educated high school. I think college next year will be a different change for most of us. The demographics will be different and all different types of people of different race, religion and social class will be spread out among the campus.

1 comment:

Sydnie D said...

Paige, I completely agree with you! Hearing his school's story surprised me. I am so used to hearing about Stevenson statistics that I never imagined that people actually got scores like a 12. He made me very appreciative of what we have. We are so lucky to live in such a priviledged place and college will be a big change for us.