Monday, September 15, 2008

Groups

I didn't realize until the activity in class how I categorize myself. If I had to pick three words that people think of when they talk about me they would be: skater, leader, and friend. I have been skating since i was six and this sport has become a lifestyle to me. I am a leader by being captain of my team previous years, and being head of clubs such as FMP. I work very hard on everything i put my mind to because I like to get things done and perfected. People would say i am a friend because I will always put my friends first. I would do anything to support them and always have their backs. I am a listener when it comes to helping others with their problems.
I think we as people always categorize people before we get to know them. People who don't know me would probably call me a Jewish girl from SHS, when in reality i think that is a unfair stereotype. When these things might be true, it is a stereotype and until you meet the person behind do not judge. It is important to find out all the facts about a person before you jump to conclusions. Give everyone a chance, you never know the outcome.

1 comment:

Smileyswimr said...

I think its great that you realize how silly some types of groupings are. I also believe that we are defined by our experiences, so I wonder if you think that our "categories" will change? Do you think you might not consider yourself in the same groups ten years from now?